Thứ Ba, 8 tháng 7, 2014

University Stationery

VANISHED

I like a stationery store. Always have. I like the words "stationery" and "stationer," and I like to see them on signs around the city. So I was disappointed when I heard from reader Chris that University Stationery had closed recently. Also, I shopped there. I made special trips to buy a very particular, perfect-sized notepad on which I wrote my many to-do lists.



I don't know how long they'd been on East 12th and I don't know why they closed, only that their sign says they're sad about it, which makes me think they didn't want to close.



And I wonder if this has anything to do with what's happening directly across 12th Street. Last night was the last night of the original Bowlmor Lanes, after 76 years. Its entire building has been stripped of multiple businesses, all pushed out to make room for luxury condos.

Next to that, also across from the former University Stationery store, a parking garage is being converted into 17EAST12, for yet more ultra-luxurious homes (including a penthouse for $25 million).



The utterly, insanely florid website copy is a must-read. Here's what the developer has to say about 17EAST12: "Situated in one of the most sought-after areas of the city, the building must reflect the prominence of the historic Gold Coast. To create a home of this caliber, I worked with the best: materials sourced from across the globe, a wealth of premium brands, and exquisite layouts and amenities... In the end, each residence needs its own passport."

Without a passport to luxury, a little stationery store couldn't stand a chance on the new "gold coast" of 12th and University. (Dare I say it? God help Cinema Village.)



Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến